New Music Indaba 2011
- 14 - 16 October
- POPArt Centre at Main Street Life, Corner of Main, Maritzburg and Fox Streets, The Maboneng Precinct, Johannesburg
From 14th to 16th October NewMusicSA will present the 2011 New Music Indaba, incorporating the Growing Composers workshops. This year the focus will be on improvisation in composition of different styles.
The Indaba will feature internationally renowned Swiss musicians Roland Dahinden (trombone/composer) and Hildegard Kleeb (piano). This experienced duo have performed works by Christian Wolf, Morton Feldman, Anthony Braxton, and Duke Ellington amongst many others and have premièred and recorded a huge amount of new music. Their repertoire is eclectic and crosses the composition-improvisation and art-jazz divides. Visit their websites at www.roland-dahinden.ch and www.hildegard-kleeb.ch. The duo will be featured in concerts and several improvisation workshops.
Canadian artists Véronique Mathieu (violin) and Sophie Patey (piano) will also perform at the festival and lead a workshop-presentation on their repertoire. Their programme will include works by Canadian and South African composers.
Due to unforeseen circumstances Jill Richards’s concert has been cancelled. Jill’s performance of the Concord Sonata will be rescheduled for early 2012 — watch this space.
NewMusicSA acknowledges the kind support of:
- Pro Helvetia Cape Town - Swiss Arts Council
- SAMRO Endowment for the National Arts
- Distell Foundation for the Performing Arts
- The National Arts Council
- Business and Arts South Africa
- Canadian Music Centre
- Council des arts et lettres de Quebec
- Canada Council for the Arts / Conseil des Arts du Canada